12 December 2017

Woods

Less than two miles from this house there's an area of ancient woodland known as Ecclesall Woods. It covers 350 acres. Nothing has ever been built here apart from a couple of charcoal burners' huts but the woods have been "managed" since the middle ages.

I have walked there many times. It's very nice to see those woods in bluebell time which is usually in early May, But yesterday it was equally lovely to walk there as snow had turned the entire area into a winter wonderland.

Some people were out and about exercising their dogs. I said hello to one woman who had no less than seven dogs in tow and for some reason she replied with "Hello my love" but I couldn't remember any previous encounters with her so I was a little puzzled. Perhaps she says "Hello my love" to everyone she meets.

I snapped twenty photographs or more - trying to capture the essence of  such a beautiful winter's day. The picture at the top of this post was the best I could come up with. Those two faraway figures really make the composition in my view. Without them there would be no focus and no hint of a story. They also provide a sense of scale. Yes - I am pretty happy with that image.

21 comments:

  1. A good walk always provides photo opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every picture tells a story...and this one certainly does...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter has well and truly arrived in your part of the woods.

    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed. It's disappointing when the camera cannot capture the fullness of what the eye can see. And yet to others the photo is complete and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing that struck me about this posting was the fact that the woman said "hello my love" to you. In this current crazy climate, it is now considered sexist for men to say that to a woman, in fact many women would now complain about such things - how bad are things getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your point entirely...my love!

      Delete
    2. I get called my love in the supermarket I work in all the time, by men and women of all ages. Sometimes I know it is meant in a derogatory way - because of course all supermarket workers are the lowest of the low, but sometimes it is said in a friendly way, to say thanks. Odd!

      Delete
    3. There are times when "love" or "my love" can seem right but at other times it jars or can seem condescending or belittling.

      Delete
  6. It's a wonderful picture, a real winter wonderland, and I'm glad you had the opportunity to go out for a walk on that beautiful day in that beautiful woodland.
    I miss my long walks, but it is has been either too cold and wet or I am stuck at the office until after dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a slave to the euro Meike... but one day you will rid yourself of the chains of labour.

      Delete
  7. That photo is brilliant my love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That counts as harassment! I'll see you in court darling!

      Delete
  8. I agree -- it's a good photo. The arching branches of the trees over the path make a good frame! Looks like you got more snow than we did, which I guess makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased you appreciated my picture Steve... or were you just being nice?

      Delete
  9. In my 17 years in Sheffield I never walked through those woods!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits