25 June 2017

Started

A few weeks ago I bought a very big sheet of drawing paper. I knew exactly what I was going to do with it and on Friday morning I got started after putting "Unhalfbricking" by Fairport Convention on the CD player.

Most of my life I have been doodling little cartoons of people's faces. As a schoolboy, when I was bored in lessons - which was pretty often - I would be drawing little faces in my rough book. It was the same at university in lectures and the same in teachers' meetings over thirty five years.

Very often the doodling has helped me to concentrate more intensely. Part of my brain  works almost unconsciously on the doodling, allowing a different part of the brain to focus more fully on the main subject matter of the hour. Doodling may give the appearance of  disengagement but for some people it can be a creative tool which aids concentration. Different minds approach things in different ways.
Anyway, I have the big sheet of paper. It is going to consist of many different faces. In fact, it is going to be a football crowd. Every figure will be wearing a football scarf. Later I shall colour in the football scarves. All will be black and amber. I haven't decided if there will be any more colour washed into the figures yet. We'll see.

It is going to take a long time to do. An hour here and an hour there when I am in the mood - slowly adding to the crowd till they are all done.

I would like to send thanks to my friend Mick. I shared this idea with him three or four years back and frequently he has nudged me, asking, "Have you got started yet?" Without that nudging it might have just remained as a crazy idea, never fulfilled. I know he sometimes drops by this blog without leaving any comments so once again - if you are reading this -  thanks Mick!

There's a long way to go but finally I have got started. Roll on 2018!

35 comments:

  1. what a marvellous project! a drawn version of the terracotta warriors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Football fans are like warriors - all subscribing to the same tribe.

      Delete
  2. They are quite good drawings - I've seen worse. But, Amber and black! Oh Christ no. seriously though, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you fulsome praise Terry!

      Delete
  3. What a great project idea YP......and you are very talented. I could only concentrate on the doodling and nothing else so my brain is wired differently I suppose.....are you going to include us bloggers and then we can spot ourselves in the crowd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're already there Libby! On the front row with The Mister. He's the one in the flatcap.

      Delete
  4. Maybe you could add one or two of your followers, I for one would like to be in your crowd.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not trying to make likenesses of any particular people but I shall get a Briony in there - based on your profile picture. You will be immortal.

      Delete
    2. Will be watching for it, lol

      Delete
  5. Such fun! Where's Wally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wally has changed his name to Philippe.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I quite like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only quite? It's gonna be right up there with "Bathers at Asnières" by Seurat.

      Delete
  7. Another Giles in the making. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need more nude models as I hone my life drawing skills so I shall make contact with you next time I'm Darn Sarf ADDY. You may wish to consider a spray tan.

      Delete
  8. I like the idea of including your blogger friends in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your profile picture is too dark and mysterious for me to make a cartoon image of you Jennifer. E-mail me a clearer image of you and I'll use it.

      Delete
    2. Check out my latest blog post. :)

      Delete
    3. Okay Jennifer. (Salutes)

      Delete
  9. YP, you are a man of many talents! You may not have meant the bald guy with the New York shirt to be me, but can I claim him? He does LOOK like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks too stupid to be you Steve. You look very intelligent - like a librarian or a newspaper reporter - something like that. I will use your profile picture to make a different you.

      Delete
  10. Allow me to thank Mick, too - what a fantastic idea, and I look forward to seeing more of this intriguing piece, YP. I get the same sort of decompression and thinking when concentrating ... on ironing! As you said, different minds, different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come and do our ironing any time Jenny but leave the leopard-print thongs to me please.

      Delete
  11. Lovely idea, great execution! In a football crowd, I am the one nobody stands behind (as they can't see, I'm taller than most).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bit of modern art! I can see it in weston park museum

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it YP. I like the way so far you have managed to capture different character with each face. Keep up with the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. Every big crowd is of course composed of unique individuals.

      Delete
  14. A considerable talent of which I am more than a little envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a 73 year old bearded Liverpudlian somewhere in the crowd... wearing a Hull City scarf.

      Delete
  15. I do look forward to seeing the completed project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like many others who have commented here, I think it would be great to have some of us included - even though I am not a football fan, I'd concede to wearing a football scarf in your chosen colours for this picture :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely. Good idea. Now, how about sharing one image with us, your loyal readers and best friends, every so often with a name and story about that person in the image that you imagine that person to be and how she or he got to be that person so deserving of a memorial in pen and ink. Yes? Will you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great project, Mr. Pudding - looking forward to instalments as you move along. Carry on! McGregor

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits