19 June 2017

Me

If you scour this blog you will find very few pictures of me. I tend to lurk in the background like a predator or a secret agent. Out there in my beloved country, I have taken  thousands of pictures but I am always behind the lens, surveying the landscape with my eagle eye.

On Saturday night, just after eight o' clock, Shirley, Frances and I drove out into the Peak District so that I could lead them on a little walk through the bracken to Bamford Edge. Neither of them had been there before and it seemed so right to make use of the last couple of hours of such a long hot summer's day. I love this time of year for the light that stretches from half past three in the morning to half past ten at night, leaving around five hours of proper night-time.

Up to Bamford Edge as the sun began its descent into the Pennine Hills. Little did I know that behind me the beloved daughter was aiming her i-phone in my direction. I was stepping into the sunshine like a religious convert or an early man ascending from the apes, I love that picture - at the top of this post. I am Heathcliff marauding across the moors by Wuthering Heights.

We looked over Ladybower Reservoir and they were both stunned by the view which we absorbed for a few minutes. Then we descended the edge and jumped in "Clint" for a short drive to "The Anglers Rest" in Bamford. This is a pub that is operated by the local community following a buy-out from the previous commercial owners. It was nice to quench our thirsts in such a place.

30 comments:

  1. There's something rather 'religious' about that picture. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's very good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to put your finger on it Graham. Just reach out and touch the screen.

      Delete
  2. I should have said that I would recognise you anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have probably seen my mugshot on "Crimewatch" Graham.

      Delete
  3. This is one great picture, Neil! Of course we, your readers, are used to see great photos on your blog, but this one clearly shows that your daughter has inherited your talent, your eye for what makes a perfect picture.

    Like you, I love this time of year with long hours of daylight. The evening light gets so mellow; it is my favourite time of the day for being out with O.K. on a walk, also because of the birdsong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances is a very artistic person and has a keen eye. Yes - I think she got this from me. Nice to hear that you and O.K. are still going strong. I hope that he "pops the question" before very long. I can tell that you have found Mr Right.

      Delete
  4. It looks like a representation of a pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay verily sister. After this evil sinner had journeyed through darkness he emerged into the light of understanding.

      Delete
  5. Aha! I thought I recognised you!

    Well captured by Frances...it's as if she captured the moment all the planets were aligned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planet Pudding is in the ascendancy.

      Delete
  6. Great photo. Looks like smoke coming out of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know for sure but I have heard that the sun is pretty hot so it could be smoke I guess.

      Delete
  7. Shame about the con trail but at least we'll be able to recognise you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the two contrails add something to this picture Derek.

      Delete
  8. That's a great photo! You should take Frances with you on your walks more often, obviously she has inherited your eye for photography.

    Wow, only 5 hours of night? And I thought our days were long in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even those hours are not entirely dark. Once I was in Iceland at this time of year - 24 hours of daylight.

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous shot! Clearly the acorn didn't fall from the tree.

    And it's great to know exactly what you look like. These bloggers who hide their identities - tsk! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The acorn didn't fall FAR from the tree Jenny.

      Delete
    2. Well, you knew what I meant!

      Delete
    3. Yes but I am pedantic. I think it's a form of autism.

      Delete
  10. Can't say I really know any more about what you look like YP - but we have your blog photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to know more. I'm like Big Foot.

      Delete
  11. I was just going to say that it looks like the sun is smoking, but I see someone beat me to it. So, I will just say that the sun is on fire. Are you looking for ET? Good job, Frances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was indeed looking for ET but I couldn't find the ugly little bugger anywhere.

      Delete
  12. That photo has caught your best side

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. Good job she didn't snap my ugly left side.

      Delete
  13. Nice one. She even got the jet trail right over the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she had already arranged that with The Royal Air Force.

      Delete
  14. The idea of going out for a walk in the country at 8 in the evening on a Saturday night makes me smile....what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There would have been two hours of decent walking light. Nudge The Mister and try it Libby. Winter is already on its way.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits