2 June 2017

Edge

Let us continue with "Yorkshire Pudding's Guide to North Derbyshire". In this chapter, your intrepid correspondent, shunned off any lingering knee pains and ignored the threat of being attacked by vicious hill sheep in order to bring you several pictures from Bamford Edge.

This millstone edge looks west towards Win Hill at a point where The Derwent Valley narrows on its way into The Hope Valley. There it meets The River Noe and together they continue their  long journey to The River Humber and onward into The North Sea. 
Sheep with Win Hill behind.
To the south, you look down upon the village of Bamford, nestled in the valley, its mornings forever arriving late because of the shade of the millstone edge.

There were a couple of rock climbers testing themselves on Bamford Edge - on a rock known as Gun Buttress. Nearby a girl of oriental appearance waved to me as I pointed my camera up at the tall rock on which she was standing, admiring the view with her companions.
The wide expanse of Bamford Moor - looking to Stanage Edge
East of the edge I looked across the wide expanse of Bamford Moor towards Stanage Edge.Long ago the moor was settled by our neolithic ancestors and amongst the moorland vegetation there is still tantalising archaeological evidence that they were here - primitive stone circles and cairns. Back then the moor was mostly wooded.

And so your intrepid reporter, descended the treacherous rough path that leads back to New Road. Breathlessly he opened the car door and slumped into the driver';s seat still clasping his trusty camera that now contained the accompanying photographs.
Oriental girl waving and below the village  of Bamford,
in the shadow of Bamford Edge

27 comments:

  1. All great pictures (as always), but the last one is the best of this set, I find.
    Thank you for having braved all these aversities for the sake of delivering such great pictures to your faithful readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an honour to alert my sedentary visitors to the fact that there is another world beyond their armchairs and digital screens.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your knee is holding up and allowing you to continue roaming freely. I'm afraid my hip wouldn't allow me to do so.

    One thing is for sure I doubt I'd climb up onto that rocky outcrop even if it was physically possible for me to do so! I'm a chicken...and freely admit it! I'll leave that heart-thumping adventure to others.

    Great photos as always. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you win the Aussie Lottery and come over to visit the British Isles, I shall piggyback you up onto Bamford Edge and there we will enjoy a flask of coffee and cucumber sandwiches.

      Delete
    2. That will be something to see YP ! Don't forget to take some photos !

      Delete
    3. Never seen cucumber sandwiches before CG?

      Delete
    4. I agree,Coppa's Girl...but I don't want to see it, to be honest! lol

      Ring the paramedics!!!!

      Delete
  3. Great pics, particularly the sheep and, as Librarian said above, the last one. I like the perspective of near and far.

    Isn't "Oriental" a verboten term for people these days? I think we're supposed to say "Asian" now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't consult my updated guide to political correctness. Originally I had written "Chinese". I had no idea that "oriental" was a taboo term. Personally, I am very happy to be referred to as someone of occidental origin.

      Delete
    2. Of course you could have simply written "Nearby a girl waved to me...", without any reference to her appearance. But like you, I do not adhere to PC; for instance, I still feel included in the term "Bürger" (citizen in its male form) even though strictly speaking I am a "Bürgerin".

      Delete
    3. And there was me thinking you were a BeefBürger!

      Delete
  4. What a glorious landscape indeed. I hope you are well, greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blogorati. Nice to see you have been released from custody for abusing adjectives. The poor things!

      Delete
  5. Heathcliff, it's me, your Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look on the sheep's face - it looks quite put out !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said to me, "Hey! Shove off you biped! This is my hill!"

      Delete
  7. I am having vertigo looking at the last photo, so I will go against the grain here and choose the second last picture as my favourite of the bunch. Thanks for posting these. It looks to have been quite a hike to get to the top.

    I always feel like I have a treasure in my hand when I get a photo I really like. Your description reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even after the thousands of pictures I have taken since I got my first digital camera in 2005, I still get breathless with excitement when I think I have taken a special picture and can't wait to look at it back home on the computer.

      Delete
  8. Great photos, especially the one of the sheep and the last one. In fact, the sheep photo is now my desktop wallpaper.

    Two of my book club friends were talking just yesterday about checking into how much a group tour of England, Scotland and Wales would be. You never know, YP. One of these days I may show up at your door asking to accompany you on one of these beautiful walks of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a pleasure to meet you Jennifer. I hope this dream comes true. We can look for that sheep together, hoping it has not already gone to sheep heaven.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful YP - nearly as beautiful as the Yorkshire Dales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I agree with you Mrs Weaver but it is a long drive from Sheffield to The Dales.

      Delete
  10. Another splendid walk with you, Mr. Pudding. Caused me to "google" these places and thus learn something new again.

    You sure you shouldn't now travel with a cellular phone just in case you run into trouble with your gimpy knee?

    Thanks again for a lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to take you on that walk Donna but it was so embarrassing when you burst into a rendition of "The Sound of Music". Even the sheep were covering their ears.

      Delete
  11. Well, I'm happy you put the effort into this hike. You show some awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits