23 February 2016

Apperknowle

On days like today you might think that the winter has already gone. I drove to Apperknowle,  just beyond Sheffield's southern boundary and there I bought a dozen seed potatoes. They need "chitting" before being planted at the end of March  - weather permitting. "Chitting" means allowing the seed potatoes to develop hardy sprouts in  cool, light conditions so that when they go in the ground they are ready to establish themselves.

After my visit to Tommy Ward's garden centre, I drove to the edge of the  village where I took these two pictures of "The Travellers' Rest". It remains a "free house" which means it is independently owned and run and not tied to one of the country's big breweries. Sadly, there are not many free houses left. They tend to be more characterful - not following corporate orders but financially they struggle to stay afloat these days.

As you can see, the sky was blue with a few cumulus clouds drifting by. It was the same yesterday when I plodded for sixteen miles along the northern section of The Lincolnshire Wolds... but I'll blog about that another time. Perhaps tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. From your many photos, Yorkie, there appear to be so many lush verdant open spaces wherever you roam.

    I'll bet the "Travellers' Rest" has thousands of stories to tell, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stories from passing travellers... Thanks for dropping by again Lee.

      Delete
  2. Big skies..........Big skies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sixteen miles?? You must have walked for 5-6 hours minimum. My legs would be rubber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did walk for six hours without sitting down once. My legs are like mighty oaks... but more shapely.

      Delete
  4. Seed potatoes? I thought you just covered them up and walked away. I'll plant mine about May 20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Red. Late every winter, British vegetable gardeners buy their seed potatoes ready for the new growing season.

      Delete
  5. The Traveller's Rest looks nice and sturdy, well cared for, and I hope it'll stay around for a long time to come.

    Great weather! It was the opposite here yesterday, sleet and snow all afternoon, and a grey cold morning now.

    I am looking forward to your 16-mile-walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have some sturdy boots and perhaps you can sing some lusty German hiking songs as we plod over the landscape.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits