18 August 2012

Potato

A potato
Surprisingly, one of my regular correspondents - a certain R.Brague of Canton, Georgia - has requested guidance in the art of potato peeling. Coming from "The Americas" - the natural homeland of the humble potato - I had assumed that he would already be conversant in the aforementioned skill.

Now I am going to let him and other lucky readers of this post into a little known secret about potato peeling. It was one passed down to me several years ago by my late and much-missed mother - Doreen (nee   Jackson). In a quiet whisper, with eyes looking nervously to the left and right, she told me that the best implement for peeling potatoes is in fact a cheese slicer! Yes my friends - a cheese slicer of the variety pictured below!
For twenty years I have used this implement in preference to any others or any sharp knives to denude many hundreds of potatoes - stripping away their dirty outer skins to reveal the creamy white flesh within. Of course, the hand you choose for holding the cheese slice depends on your dexterity. Normal people are of course right-handed but there are a few freaks out there who are left-handed. Being normal, I always hold the potato in my left hand and the cheese slice in my right hand.

One of the advantages of using a cheese slice is that the instrument reduces wastage of potato flesh that will often occur with knives or other useless types of potato peeler.

When peeling potatoes it is important to wash them in clean water and it is unwise to peel your "spuds" well in advance of  potato cooking. The stripped potato can discolour quite quickly so my advice is to chop and boil or fry soon after the peeling process has been completed. Of course, over in Ireland, families will often scorn the business of peeling - boiling any old potato with skin attached. I put this down to their prudish Catholic heritage. Priests must have told them to avert their eyes from the naked spud of God.

Over here in Europe, it is hard to imagine a diet that did not include potatoes but they first came to our continent in the latter part of the sixteenth century and were not widely grown until the eighteenth century. Imagine a life without chips or mashed potato, jacket potatoes, potato croquettes or scallops. It doesn't bear thinking about. The potato comes with its own special, protective skin waiting to be undressed. If you didn't know already - please remember the humble cheese slicer! Just as "a dog isn't just for Christmas", so "a cheese slicer isn't just for cheese"!

6 comments:

  1. Now that's a post! Thanks for the great tip about the cheese slicer. Also, I must be part Irish (not) as I prefer the skin on the potato, whether in home-fried potatoes, potato chips, baked potatoes, roasted potatoes, or even potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a number of potato peelers on the market that work in a similar fashion to a cheese slicer. I hope your mum patented that idea!

    But if you want to peel your spuds in advance and avoid them discolouring, simply let them stand in a pan or bowl of cold water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RHYMES WITH & S.PARROTS I could be the next big thing when it comes to TV chefs - presenting my own potato cooking and advice programme - "Mr Potato Head". I'd draft you two in as guest presenters - King Edward and Maris Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...potato pancakes, hash-brown potatoes, potato soup, scalloped potatoes....

    I feel like the shrimp guy from Forrest Gump.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RHYMES
    Fat guy walks into seafood restaurant:-
    "I'd like the barbeque shrimp, boiled shrimp, broiled shrimp, baked shrimp, sauted shrimp, shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan-fried shrimp, deep-fried shrimp, stir-fried shrimp, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, a shrimp burger, and a shrimp sandwich.
    Lady at register: "Is that it?"
    Fat guy: "That's... That's about it I guess"

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the south of Ireland, you peel your cooked spuds on a side plate before allowing them to join the rest of the meal. My dad, with his strange Ulster ways, used to eat them skin and all.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits